It is Monday, April 20th, 2009. It has been one week since my surgery!
I notice as I maneuver myself out of bed carefully for breakfast, I have some soreness and tenderness on the back of my right thigh. As I am only able to rest or sleep in a sitting position it must be from that, I think. I wander into the kitchen. Hubby is fixing some of his smokin' oatmeal... with cranberries! YUMMY!
After breakfast, Grasshopper helps me to get my shower. Now I am able to wash my hair and body on my own for the most part. My mobility is slowly improving day by day. Each day it is such a relief to be free from the c-collar, if only for a short time during my shower! As he is helping me dress, I notice tenderness on the back of my right leg again. I raise it to look in the mirror. "WHAT IS THAT?!" I say with great concern! Hubby looks at it. It appears that there is a rash that has developed. It is a raised, angry red patch about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. It is about 3 inches away from my most private area! I am starting to flip out a little bit! Hubby quickly calms me down. It itches slightly and hurts. We are thinking perhaps a reaction to one of the medications, or irritation from getting in and out of the bed. We apply cortaid and neosporin, praying it will help!
I called the doctor's office to be sure, and the nurse suggested I do what we had already done. She said to give it 24-48 hours, and if it spread or was not better to call back. "SIGH!" Overall, I am feeling a little more tired and have less energy. I want to rest alot.
It is Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009. The rash is the same, with little raised bumps that seem to look like they are peeling. I called the doctor's office again. The nurse says to now try an anti-fungal cream, as it could be yeast from the boatload of antibiotics I received in the hospital. She said if it is not better in the morning, that I will need to go see my Primary Care Doctor. I remind her that I am not supposed to go anywhere for two weeks, and she says that in some cases, it just has to happen. She said the doctor has given me permission to go if needed. Hubby goes to the pharmacy. Mid-morning we apply the cream and wait. I feel really exhausted, and just yucky all over. I am thinking that lack of sleep and the medications are making me feel yucky. Saltine crackers are a new best friend, as I am nauseous alot!
It is Thursday, April 23rd, 2009. It is 2 am. I cannot sleep as I am not able to get comfortable with the rash on my leg, and I feel achy all over. I get up and check my temperature. No fever! WHEW! I eat a few more saltine crackers, some jello, and take my pain medication. I find a fleece blanket in Caterpillar's drawer. I take some pillows to the couch. Between 2:30 am and 4 am I wrestle on the couch trying to get comfortable. I still have upper body soreness from the surgery, and now trying to scoot around with my leg bothering me, let just say moving alot is not that desirable! I pray. I cry, and pray some more. I know He is my rock. I will get through this. I know He is in control and will take care of me. I feel His comfort and presence. Finally I am able to sit with my side leaning against the back of the couch, with pillows propped up on my side and front. It resembles sleeping on my side, yet in a sitting position. It is slightly comfortable and I am able to fall asleep. At 5:30 am Grasshopper comes in the family room and wakes me. I have leaned over during my sleep and am stuck. He says, "Why didn't you wake me?" I respond "I just wanted you to be able to sleep. I know you are exhausted too." I am hopeful the rash will be better!



1 comment:
Oh I am praying for you!!!!!
Post a Comment